I'm gay and I buaya, you?

Buaya - Malay language for 'Crocodile'. Also used connotatively to describe cheeky men who are into sex... :)

Monday, August 04, 2008

Money No Enough 2

After 10 years since the first 'Money No Enough', '钱不够用', director Jack Neo finally came up with this part 2 of the highly successful movie... And the trailer had been making many people look forward to the movie... :p

And the critics and media had been taking both ends of the critic spectrum ever since...

Some love it... Some hate it... Their reactions had been very extreme...

Those who hate the show said that the plot is old and the predictable and the trick of using dialect is no longer Jack's advantage. Some even mentioned that Jack tried too hard to play the sympathy card and the second part of the movie was overly sentimental (well, can't find the right word to replace 煽情)...

Those who love it, of course, played on dialect and the many jokes poking the Singapore government...

I must say, I tend to find the jokes and sarcasm on the Singapore government a little too much... Maybe it is getting old... Or maybe it is the National Day period and the patriotism spirit is sub-consciously arising... Whatever... :p And I love the emotional and sentimental part of the movie.

This movie is not all fun and laughter all the way... The second part of the movie is rather sentimental and is almost guaranteed to make you cry... I cried like crazy... :p But Jack is good as he had placed some well timed jokes in-between the sentimental and emotional scenes and you dun feel too heavy emotionally throughout the second part of the movie...

The only bad thing I wanna comment would be the acting skills of some of the actors... While Henry Thia finally got a role more suitable for his language and acting ability, the same cannot be said of the supporting roles... Jack's wife might be a minor local celebrity but that does not mean she can really act... The girl playing his daughter is worse... Though I must say her bad acting made her character more irritable... which actually works...

Lin Ru Ping and Lai Meng, playing Henry's wife and mother, respectively, are the better actresses... In fact, Lai Meng will make you really think she really is so old and having all the old people illness... A sharp contrast to her role in Jack's last movie 'Ah Long Pte Ltd'... I particularly love a scene where she acted against Mark Lee about her bra... Really made me laugh till almost cry... :p

Overall, I think this movie is great... It makes you think a lot as you leave the theater... which is what I think the director wanted... Go catch the movie before everyone around you started talking about it... :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Vincent said...

I will put this movie in my "watch list" :).

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Buaya, I would like to send a message but can not find a mail box...
hugs
p of the day fan
mail jpnxchn@yahoo.ca

12:06 AM  
Blogger Buaya said...

my email is ibuaya@gmail.com :)

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home